[wisb] Blackbird flock near Horicon Marsh

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 08:36:52 -0600

For the last few weeks, I've been poking around Horicon Marsh, trying to
find the large mixed blackbird flock that Daryl T. reported a while ago.
  Yesterday afternoon, I finally ran across a big flock on Oak Center
Rd., in Fond du Lac Co. north of the marsh.  I estimated about 350
Redwings, 2 or 3 dozen Brown-headed Cowbirds, only about 20 E.
Starlings, and no other species that I could find by scoping (although
the flock was flitty.)  I did once think I had heard a Rusty BB, but
that was when the flock flew from the tops of trees on the north side
over to a picked and disked cornfield on the other side of the road to
feed, and I never could visually locate one.  There were also about 50
Mourning Doves feeding next to the road there.  I stayed just long
enough to count it for the GBBC (15 minutes.)  I'm getting behind on my
data entry lately...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI