[wisb] Re: Birds and Butts

  • From: betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 17:30:37 -0500 (EST)

 In a past life, working in greenhouse IPM (integrated pest management), we
used to grow nicotiana sylvestris (flowering tobacco) as a host or trap plant
for whitefly, a particularly obnoxious critter in greenhouse production.  I
grew some on my porch a couple years ago, setting it out in the spring to
explore its capacity as a hummer attractant, tho seldom witnessed the hummers
hitting the tubular flowers for nectar or insects.  Rather, they explored the
leaves which indeed hosted small flying insects like whitefly larva and aphids.
 I wondered if the flowers were too deep on the species nicotiana - 2 inches in
most cases - for the the hummers to penetrate, though could it be said that the
flowers' insecticidal properties made them undesireable to insects and thus,
hummers?  It's the leaves that are burned for tobacco and as used as an aphid
control, though....  Dunno, but a highlight of this half-shade loving plant is
its flowers' delightful aroma at night.  Alas, a non-native....

Betsy Abert, So. Milwaukee