[wisb] Birding Texas

  • From: Hilary Ford <khilaryf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 16:46:14 -0800 (PST)

A happy New Year to all the birders in Wisconsin!
My husband and I drove to Texas just after Christmas and have rented a place
for a month on Copano Bay near Fulton/Rockport.  For several years we  brought
our Motor Home to Goose Island S/P. and also birded Falcon Lake and the
southeastern areas on the border, but we have not been here for about five
years.  A lot has changed!

So far we have birded Goose Island and in a farm field near The Big Tree we saw
10 Whooping Cranes with five Sandhills.  Interesting to compare their
respective sizes when found together!

Duck are abundant, Shorebirds not so.  A trip to Port Aransas sewage works had
many waterfowl and all three teal species plus a couple of alligators cruising
out to catch lunch - interesting to watch the reaction from the duck but we did
not see the finale!

Forgive me for inserting Texas sightings in the Wisbirdnet, but it is so nice
to see lots of birds - I was starving for birds in Door Co the last couple of
months.  I know I am missing the Redpolls, but the last report from there to
the Feeder Watch was abysmal and I needed one more sighting of a Roseate
Spoonbill (not yet found) before I get much older!  So far my list is up to 83
and counting.  Today was warm and sunny- close to 80 degrees.  A Belted
Kingfisher sits and rattles most evenings and mornings on the posts of nearby
docks that we look over outside the house.  Good birding to all - I keep
looking over your lists whilst here.

Hilary Ford, ex-Door County