[wisb] Townsend's Solitare Devil's Lake/ Sauk County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 18:41:25 -0600

This morning at about 10:30 A.M.,  I met Tom Prestby and Quentin Yoerger at
the top of the Potholes Trail in Devil's Lake State Park. They had just seen
and photographed the Townsend's Solitaire near the Devil's Doorway. They had
been at the park since 5:00  A.M., owling and checking out the eagles
(they found one Golden Eagle) and I'm sure by then they were ready for some
breakfast or at least coffee, but they walked back with me to show me
exactly where they had seen the Solitaire and spent a good deal of time
trying to relocate it for me. Thanks Tom and Quentin, I really appreciate
your
efforts. Unfortunately, the bird was laying low at this location so I
resorted to the old method of back-and-forth on the bluff between the
Potholes Trail
and The Balanced Rock Trail. Finally, after about 3 hours  I spotted a
Townsend's Solitaire low in a cedar about 100 yards east of the Balanced
Rock Trail . It quickly flew down, but after about 5 minutes it flew to the
top of a short dead branch and remained in view for about a minute. It then
flew farther east and down out of view. Good things come to those who wait!

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County