[wisb] Bird Devotion

  • From: "Swanson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "elaineseverin@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 22:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

I've been watching a robin's nest built in a spreading juniper right outside
the window.  The last few days, the trio of nestlings were stretching more,
looking around more, showing their speckles more.  Sunday brought thunder,
lightning, and a deluge of heavy rain.  The presence of the old Silver Maple
shielded the nest from some of the storm's drenching.  Still, the mother robin
dutifully returned to cover her nestlings each time the rain returned.  Here
and there, a head peeked out from under her body, but they seem to know a warm
blanket when they had it.  Early this AM, I went to the window and saw
Fledgling #1 had hopped from the nest and was perched on a hearby juniper
branch.  It wasn't long before Fledgling #2 stepped out without much hesitation
and moved to another branch.  Fledgling #3 stood up tall, stretched his wings,
and lowered himself back down.  Throughout the day, I returned to the window.
The mother brought fresh
 caterpillars I hadn't seen anywhere.  The little bird would chow down, then
turn tail to mom who was ready to take the white sac he wiggled loose.  The
nest was spotless of any droppings - amazing with 3 beaks opening at every
feeding for 2 weeks.  When I checked in the afternoon, the last fledgling had
just hopped to a slightly higher branch inches from the nest.  Wind, thunder,
and more stormy weather returned. The little bird looked tail-less and tiny
buffeted about on that branch.  He was getting mighty wet.  Suddenly the mom
appeared.  She slipped right into the nest - keeping an eye on him.  He held
his wings close to his body, closed his eyes, and raised his beak to the sky.
She made quiet tut noises throughout that last heavy rain.  It was touching to
see her devotion.  By late afternoon, there was no sign of the nestlings.
Inside the wet nest - 3 maple wings rested.

Elaine Swanson
Pickett