[wisb] Re: Best Time of The Spring for Owling? (No Sightings)

  • From: Steve Konings <stevekonings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdN <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:08:28 -0800 (PST)

Many years ago (late 80's) I decided to look for GHOs.  There had been an
article in the MJS about building sites for the Brewer's new stadium including
Falk Park on Milw's south side (I said it was a long time ago).  In the article
it mentioned wildlife on the property, including owls.  I went looking one day
after work in the first week of Feb.  I found a pair, hear them calling, saw
them mate, found the nest, etc.  I went weekly through mid-May and watched the
progress, took pictures (slide film).  I did get to see the owlets out of the
nest, but they were gone by the time I did a big day that May.  It was a cool
experience...now's the time to start listening.
Steve Konings
Milw, WI