[wisb] Appleton Gulls this week

  • From: Ari <birdhaxxor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 17:52:49 -0500 (EST)

Today, on the Fox River near Lawrence University, there were 3 Thayer's Gulls
(2 first-winter birds and 1 adult), 1 first-year Glaucous gull, and some sort
of dark-backed gull that flew away before I could properly ID it.

This is pretty similar to what I had on Monday, minus the dark-backed gull. On
Monday, in fact, there seemed to be at least 5 Thayer's Gulls!

Also seen on the river were 2 Lesser Scaup, 5 Common Mergansers, 10 Goldeneye,
and the usual mallards. On Monday there were also 3 Black Ducks, but I did not
see them today.

Ari Rice
Appleton, WI