[wisb] Re: Anyone know what this is? (photo)

  • From: Gayle Davis <humnbrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:44:19 -0600

definitely an oriole's nest - I observed a very oddly placed oriole nest
this past season - my neighbor's have red pines throughout their yard -
as with most red pines, there are many dead branches on the lower parts
of the trees -  a pair of oriole's built their nest out on one of these
dead branches - I found it very unusual as they typically pick a
deciduous tree and ultimately conceal the nest, to some degree at least,
in the leaves around the nest area - to have their nest built in such an
exposed area, as in COMPLETELY exposed, seemed very odd to me - their
construction is a marvel, isn't it?

Gayle Davis
Owen, Taylor Cty