[wisb] Anyone know what this is? (photo)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:13:00 -0800 (PST)

When I first saw it I thought it was a hornets nest. But after looking at the
photo more carefully when I got home, I could see that it was constructed of
woven grasses covered by some sort of downy material. It wasn't super big, as
you can tell by looking at the twigs on the tree. It was about 15-20 feet up in
the tree.

Here's the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6848784333/in/photostream

Is it some sort of bird nest? If so, what species?

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee