[wisb] All I want for Christmas is a good look at the California gull

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 09:37:45 -0600

I spent another couple of hours yesterday afternoon trying to get a clear,
conclusive look at the California gull at McKinley Marina.  The ice shelf
had lost a large part of its mass, so the best place for viewing was on the
north side of the marina in the lee of the round building (which kept the
wind and rain off of me quite nicely!).  I had an excellent candidate for
the California gull, but once again it did not fly, so I could not get a
look at its open wings or the white rump/black tail combo.  This bird was
slightly smaller and appeared more barrel-chested than nearby herring gulls,
and had a round head and thin bill and longer-looking wingtips.

There was an adult great black-backed gull in the mass of herrings and
ringed-bills, as well as the odd soiled gull that was noted the other day
(large, dirty even gray over most of it, black face with white on the top
and back of the head, and blackish tail and wingtips; looks like it got into
some oil or paint or something).

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee