[wisb] Alert: Lark Bunting at Powell Marsh WMA in Vilas County

  • From: John Bates/Mary Burns <manitowish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:54:32 -0500

My wife Mary, daughter Callie, and I had very good and prolonged looks at a
lark bunting this afternoon standing on one of the dikes in the Powell Marsh
WMA in far northwestern Vilas County.
Last week, we led a trip out on Powell and had distant, but good looks at a
red-necked grebe, a first for us in 30 years of birding on the Powell.

And a non-bird sighting, but a sad one - a calf moose was hit by a car two
nights ago and killed less than a mile from our home in the crossroads of
Manitowish, southern Iron County. Two adult moose have been reported in our
area, though we’ve yet to see them! The Mercer DNR picked up the calf the next
morning.

John Bates
manitowish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx