[wisb] Alert: Barrow's Goldeneye--University Bay, Dane County

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:07:05 -0600

Hi all,

I birded a number of spots today, but the best bird was easily a male
BARROW'S GOLDENEYE on University Bay.  The bird was very close to
shore--straight out from the boat launch and right along the edge of the
ice.  I believe this may be the first Dane County record for this species.

Other Highlights:

University Bay
Good waterfowl diversity--L. Scaup, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck,
Redhead, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, C. Goldeneye & Merganser, Mallard,
Shoveler, etc.

Olin-Turville Boat Launch
B2 Thayer's Gull-- cool looking bird!
adult basic Bonaparte's Gull
2 Common Loons
Pied-billed Grebe
Belted Kingfisher
Hooded Mergansers
Many C. Mergansers

Tenney Park--Lake Mendota:
150 Tundra Swans
Other common waterfowl

My backyard over the last two days:
2 Fox Sparrows
about 10 White-throated Sparrows
1 Grackle
8 Red-winged Blackbirds

Aaron Stutz
Madison, WI
Dane County

P.S. I am off to the Dane Co. Landfill soon to look for the Great
Black-backed Gull.  I would love some company if anyone would like to
join me!