[wisb] A fabulous Jaegerfest

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:03:35 -0500

As Daryl has noted, Jaegerfest certainly lived up to its name this year,
with knockout looks at multiple Parasitics and an extremely cooperative
Long-tailed right over our heads at times.

Even though the show on the lake was compelling, my group decided to get
up early on Sunday and head down to the Douglas Co. Wildlife Area to
look for Sharp-tailed Grouse.  It was a frosty 30 degrees, with fog in
the low spots, when we got there a bit after sunrise.  We stopped at a
few spots to scan, and Mark Hodgson finally spotted four grouse sitting
pretty high up in aspen trees. The grouse took off and flew a short ways
to some other trees, with one perched up high that we got in the scopes
so everyone had a good look.  We also found a Gray Jay in a spruce bog
on County A north of there.  While en route to the bog, we found out
about the Sabine's Gull close to the beach, so headed back up to
Wisconsin Point, but missed the gull.

We stuck around for an hour or so, then decided to head for home, with a
check of the Germann Rd. fire area east of Solon Springs on the way.  We
hadn't heard any encouraging reports, and much of the standing dead
timber has been logged already, but there are still some stands of large
trees in spots.  At the second place we stopped, it seemed to be mostly
BC Chickadees and nuthatches, but there was also a soft, persistent
tapping.  I tried to zero in on the sound and noticed a bark flake
falling to the ground.  Unfortunately, I couldn't tell which tree it had
come from.  Mark tried playing a taped call, and very shortly, a large
woodpecker flew in and landed in a nearby tree.  Mark yelled "That's a
Black-backed!" and we all got great looks.  It was a nice female, which
also flew across the road to a small tree and called once or twice, then
came back over for more great looks.  I was ecstatic - this was my #1
"nemesis" bird, that I've been looking for in northern Wisconsin for
years (and missing.)  I had been feeling left out, since so many other
folks were getting lifers up there.

Just as the bird came in, a guy driving by stopped to ask if we were
doing a survey.  He mentioned that he had woodpeckers coming to his
feeders, including Black-backs, and seemed to know the difference
between those, Downys and Hairys, so it probably would pay to check
multiple stands wherever you find them.  This particular stand of burned
trees was on Comminsky Rd., just south of Sutfin Rd., about a mile south
of County A and three miles west of Hwy 27.  (Comminsky turns into
Connor Meadows Rd. farther south.  Many roads in that area change names
when they cross town lines, and the DeLorme Atlas is frequently mistaken
about where the changes occur.)  This is about 8 miles due east of Solon
Springs, for reference.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI