[wisb] 2 Laughing Gulls- Milwaukee CGI

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:44:35 -0500

I stopped at the Milwaukee CGI this evening and as several people have
reported, there is a very impressive number of shorebirds including a Hudsonian
Godwit in alternate plumage, Sanderlings, Ruddy Turnstones, Black-bellied
Plovers, etc. Definitely a big change from checking inland ponds in the
Madison/Fond du Lac area which pale in comparison.

When I arrived, the birders who were present told me that a Laughing Gull (the
bird Jym reported) stopped by for a few minutes before flying north just before
I got there. After about a half hour Tim Hahn and I moved to the Ferry parking
area for a different vantage point and found 2 Laughing Gulls sitting with the
large group of Caspian Terns-- both in adult breeding plumage.

On the way back from a marshbird survey in Fond du Lac County earlier today I
had a Marbled Godwit in the pond on I and Z north of Fond du Lac. It put on a
great show by feeding, flying around, and repeatedly calling. The Eared Grebe
that Dar found yesterday was still on the south side of Hwy 49 in Horicon
Marsh. It was diving very actively in the easternmost part of the easternmost
pond where the green emergent vegetation meets the open water. The Beezy Point
Road ponds didn't have much besides Dunlin.

Tom Prestby

Milwaukee