[wisb] +1 = 165, in Oshkosh

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 23:08:05 -0700 (PDT)

  Had a very nice surprise when I stepped outside this evening,  my next
species for the month,  a screech-owl was perched on my next-door neighbor's
phone wire !!  So I tootled
 to it, and it flew around the house and back to the wire again, same spot.  I
tootled again and then it took off for the center of my block. Probably hid in
the dense maples or oaks.  So, as the subject line says,  my 164 is now 165
!!   I never imagined in my first days of serious birding, that means keeping
records and such,   that I'd ever achieve such a number of birds seen in a
month.  But,,,,, like a good bottle of wine,  things just improve over time.
This number just blows me away.

     In other things that I missed or interesting sightings are concerned,
Remember that pop quiz the other night?  About the migrant that holds the most
nights to migrate?  I apologize for not posting the answer at the end of that
posting.  If you said "Swainson's Thrush", then you were correct.  In fact
right before I got online right now, I just heard another one.  Sheesh,  from
early April up to right now,  I heard one flying over.
    Some interesting things of note:  2 days ago I had 2 odd things seen and
heard.  I had a minor warbler push at Campbell Creek woods, including an
orange-crown feeding on tent-caterpillars.  Then moments after, a catbird was
singing an odd song.  I  admit I can't recall the exact song, but one phrase
was repeated over and over again.  Something like a
  seeeeup,  seeeeeup,  ... I had no idea what was going on with it, but it was
just not normal,  which brings to mind another pop quiz question, and this time
I'll remember to post the answer at the end.  What bird either sits on it's
nest, or is sitting still, and utters a shrill, piercing un-_______like,
waxwing-like hiss?     As far as the owl thing goes with me, it's not too often
I get 3 species for the month, so, this too, is an outstanding feature to my
checklist.  I could still get Shortear, if I'm lucky.     Seems like warblers
are diminishing, which makes me wonder if the Great Push is almost over.
Oh!  I had a Greatcrest Flycatcher in town, Saturday.  Again, not usual.    And
as usual, it is tired out. Off to bed I go.  If anyone knows where anything odd
is in Winnebago Co., please let me know.

    Paul Bruce, Oshkosh
    Winnebago Co.
    Robin, answer.