[windows_errors] [what_error_messages_really_mean_WinNTServer] C:\Program Folder Causes Add/Remove Program to Fail:

  • From: "albertj809" <albertj809@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: what_error_messages_really_mean_WinNTServer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:46:47 -0000

Creating C:\Program Folder Causes Add/Remove Program to Fail:

This information is for,Windows NT Server:

You may get symptoms like this.

After you create a folder called C:\Program, if you then go to
Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and select an
installed program to remove or update, you get the following error
message.

An error occurred while trying to remove "program_name"
Uninstallation has been cancelled.

If you rename the folder called Program to, for example, Program2,
you see the following message:

This change may impact one or more registered programs. Do you want
to continue?

Cause:

Look in the registry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstal
   \...

any programs whose uninstall string value starts with C:\Progra~1
or "C:\Program Files\..." will fail to be removed if a C:\Program
folder exists.

These examples will also fail:

UninstallString:reg_sz:c:\Program Files\My_program\setup setup

UninstallString:reg_sz:"c:\Program Files\My_program\setup" setup

UninstallString:reg_sz:c:\Progra~1\My_program\setup setup

To resolve this problem:

Perform the following steps to remove the desired application.

Rename the C:\Program folder.

Click the Start button, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and
then double-click Add/Remove Programs.

Click the application you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Then click OK.

Rename the folder in step 1 back to its original name.

Last Reviewed: 8/9/2001
Albert   170669

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/67folB/TM