[windows_errors] [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98] Re: UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6.2

  • From: "Sean" <daxrh5b02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:55:37 -0000

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows 98 SE. This=20
contains all updates from Windows Update site and more. It is a self-
extracting and self-installing pack. It contains only operating=20
system updates ONLY, not Internet Explorer, DirectX, Media Player or=20
their updates. This update is only for Win98 Second Edition ENGLISH.

Features:=20

- 52 hot fixes. (All of them are from Microsoft's WindowsUpdate.)=20
- 256-color tray. (Some icons on the tray like WinAMP's icon will be=20
shown better.)=20
- Better Defrag. (Faster. It is from Windows ME. However, It works=20
properly on the Windows98 SE.)=20
- Better Notepad. (Same Notepad with more key bindings.)=20
- Optimized swap file usage. (Windows will not to use the swap file=20
at all until all of the RAM is used.)=20
- Better WDM/USB support. (Most problems about WDM drivers and USB=20
devices are solved.)=20
- Windows Scripting Host 5.6. (It is latest version of Scripting=20
Host which also contains VBScript and JScript support.)=20
- Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 runtime library. (To run Visual Basic 6.0=20
programs.)=20
- Windows2000 color scheme. (You should select it from Control Panel-
Display-Apperance.)=20
- A few performance tweaks.

The official site of the person offering this download, with a=20
little more info, is http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . The=20
site mentioned that the next version will probably have Microsoft=20
Installer 2.0, Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (Q816093), Windows=20
2000 desktop icons, and more.

Are you confused yet?
As if all of that is not enough, let me confuse you even more. There=20
is an Unofficial Windows98 SE SP 1 1.5 according to NeoWin Software=20
News . You can download it at http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?
id=3D19399&category=3Dsoftware . This software is also not from=20
Microsoft. Use caution when installing it on your system.

What's New in SP1 1.5?

4 new hot fixes.
Adaptec ASPI 4.60 drivers.
General USB Mass Storage Device support.
Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
Some additional tweaks.
Some major bugs are fixed.
The author says he is working on the next version (1.6). It will=20
probably contain:
- 1 new hot-fix.
- VXD Fix. (http://freepctech.com/articles/articles.php?
ArticleId=3D49).
- TweakUI 1.33.

So far, this is the typical reviews of those who have installed it:
"Best yet, Makes Windows 98 look like Windows 2000 by its taskbar.=20
Not bad at all."
Most of the negative reviews come from people who have not installed=20
it and expressing their paranoia. A little paranoia is always=20
healthy. But don't let it rule ya.

STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS JUST IN!!!!

The latest update on this continuing SAGA, there is now an=20
Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0 Beta 2
that you can download from one of the respected download centrals:
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-191.shtml
You can download it if you wish but since it is in its beta version,=20
I would stay away from it for a bit until it becomes an unofficial=20
official-release version or until it comes out of its beta form.=20
Just like the other two versions before it, this is only for WINDOWS=20
98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. I highly recommend that you backup your=20
system before installing the pack. It contains only operating system=20
updates. It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6, DirectX 9, Media=20
Player 9 and their updates.

Features:

=B7 73 hot fixes.
=B7 Solves 512 MB of RAM problem.=20
=B7 256-color tray icons.
=B7 Better Notepad.
=B7 Optimized swap file usage.
=B7 Better WDM and USB support.
=B7 General "USB 1.x Mass Storage Device" support.
=B7 Adaptec ASPI 4.60.1021 drivers.
=B7 Windows Scripting Host 5.6.
=B7 DCOM98 1.3.
=B7 OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522.
=B7 Dial-Up Networking 1.4.
=B7 Microsoft Installer 2.0.
=B7 Microsoft Layer for Unicode.
=B7 Visual Basic 5.0 SP2 runtime library.
=B7 Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
=B7 Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
=B7 Updates JET 3.5 files to JET 3.5 SP3.
=B7 Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
=B7 Windows ME desktop icons.
=B7 Windows 2000 color scheme.
=B7 Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
=B7 Some tweaks.

Note: All old version users should install this version without=20
uninstalling old version.

Excerpts or quotes from reviewers of this update:
"An excellent programme, can't speak too highly of it!"
"It's an excellent programme ..."
"Faster, fewer problems."
"It's the best choice for a Win98SE user !!!"
"I did a clean install using 98lite option "sleek" and updated IE=20
browser to 5.5 also installed vb5sp3 and vb6sp5 runtime files=20
including most windows updates minus media player 9,but using media=20
player 9 codecs also I installed directX 8.1.=20
Then I used/installed this great file download!
This win98se service pack is well worth the download/install with=20
only one drawback I noticed via my system.ini file under the heading=20
[vcache] which I edited both Min/MaxFileCache to be 2048 "
"this program is EXCELLENT. It makes Windows 98 look stylish and it=20
even makes it go faster! and best of all, this is free! Your system=20
will run better and smoother with this SP. DOWNLOAD IT!!! A +++"

As you all know, Microsoft stopped supporting Win98.

--- In=20
What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Sean"=20
<daxrh5b02@xxxx> wrote:
Some friends of mine installed this unofficial update. No problem so=20
far. As to your question, the general answer is any higher-numbered=20
version of a software includes, usually, the features or changes=20
made in previous versions, unless those features have bugs=20
(problems) in them in which case they are often times corrected.=20
However, that does not mean that there are still unpatched problems=20
that still gets included in the newer versions. Their patching are=20
just simply moved to a later date for reasons only known to the=20
program developer.

--- In
What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ladycatme"=20
<nlee5152@xxxx> wrote:

Has anyone installed this service pack? Any problems with it? Also=20
does version1.6.2 include everything in versions 1.6 and 1.6.1?=20
Sorry for the dumb questions, but new at this. Thanks

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/67folB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
=20