[windows_errors] Re: [What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98] Digest Number 51

  • From: "Firda Yasmin" <fyasmin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: What_Error_Messages_Really_Mean_WIN_98@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:16:38 +0700

Sean,

which one is the best?

Firda

----- Original Message -----

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:55:37 -0000
   From: "Sean" <daxrh5b02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.6.2

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows 98 SE. This
contains all updates from Windows Update site and more. It is a self-
extracting and self-installing pack. It contains only operating
system updates ONLY, not Internet Explorer, DirectX, Media Player or
their updates. This update is only for Win98 Second Edition ENGLISH.

Features:

- 52 hot fixes. (All of them are from Microsoft's WindowsUpdate.)
- 256-color tray. (Some icons on the tray like WinAMP's icon will be
shown better.)
- Better Defrag. (Faster. It is from Windows ME. However, It works
properly on the Windows98 SE.)
- Better Notepad. (Same Notepad with more key bindings.)
- Optimized swap file usage. (Windows will not to use the swap file
at all until all of the RAM is used.)
- Better WDM/USB support. (Most problems about WDM drivers and USB
devices are solved.)
- Windows Scripting Host 5.6. (It is latest version of Scripting
Host which also contains VBScript and JScript support.)
- Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 runtime library. (To run Visual Basic 6.0
programs.)
- Windows2000 color scheme. (You should select it from Control Panel-
Display-Apperance.)
- A few performance tweaks.

The official site of the person offering this download, with a
little more info, is http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html . The
site mentioned that the next version will probably have Microsoft
Installer 2.0, Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (Q816093), Windows
2000 desktop icons, and more.

Are you confused yet?
As if all of that is not enough, let me confuse you even more. There
is an Unofficial Windows98 SE SP 1 1.5 according to NeoWin Software
News . You can download it at http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?
id=19399&category=software . This software is also not from
Microsoft. Use caution when installing it on your system.

What's New in SP1 1.5?

4 new hot fixes.
Adaptec ASPI 4.60 drivers.
General USB Mass Storage Device support.
Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
Some additional tweaks.
Some major bugs are fixed.
The author says he is working on the next version (1.6). It will
probably contain:
- 1 new hot-fix.
- VXD Fix. (http://freepctech.com/articles/articles.php?
ArticleId=49).
- TweakUI 1.33.

So far, this is the typical reviews of those who have installed it:
"Best yet, Makes Windows 98 look like Windows 2000 by its taskbar.
Not bad at all."
Most of the negative reviews come from people who have not installed
it and expressing their paranoia. A little paranoia is always
healthy. But don't let it rule ya.

STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS JUST IN!!!!

The latest update on this continuing SAGA, there is now an
Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0 Beta 2
that you can download from one of the respected download centrals:
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-191.shtml
You can download it if you wish but since it is in its beta version,
I would stay away from it for a bit until it becomes an unofficial
official-release version or until it comes out of its beta form.
Just like the other two versions before it, this is only for WINDOWS
98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. I highly recommend that you backup your
system before installing the pack. It contains only operating system
updates. It does NOT contain Internet Explorer 6, DirectX 9, Media
Player 9 and their updates.

Features:

· 73 hot fixes.
· Solves 512 MB of RAM problem.
· 256-color tray icons.
· Better Notepad.
· Optimized swap file usage.
· Better WDM and USB support.
· General "USB 1.x Mass Storage Device" support.
· Adaptec ASPI 4.60.1021 drivers.
· Windows Scripting Host 5.6.
· DCOM98 1.3.
· OLE Automation Libraries 2.40.4522.
· Dial-Up Networking 1.4.
· Microsoft Installer 2.0.
· Microsoft Layer for Unicode.
· Visual Basic 5.0 SP2 runtime library.
· Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 runtime library.
· Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 runtime libraries.
· Updates JET 3.5 files to JET 3.5 SP3.
· Supports 98lite 4.7 Chubby and Overweight.
· Windows ME desktop icons.
· Windows 2000 color scheme.
· Supports custom "Program Files" directory.
· Some tweaks.

Note: All old version users should install this version without
uninstalling old version.

Excerpts or quotes from reviewers of this update:
"An excellent programme, can't speak too highly of it!"
"It's an excellent programme ..."
"Faster, fewer problems."
"It's the best choice for a Win98SE user !!!"
"I did a clean install using 98lite option "sleek" and updated IE
browser to 5.5 also installed vb5sp3 and vb6sp5 runtime files
including most windows updates minus media player 9,but using media
player 9 codecs also I installed directX 8.1.
Then I used/installed this great file download!
This win98se service pack is well worth the download/install with
only one drawback I noticed via my system.ini file under the heading
[vcache] which I edited both Min/MaxFileCache to be 2048 "
"this program is EXCELLENT. It makes Windows 98 look stylish and it
even makes it go faster! and best of all, this is free! Your system
will run better and smoother with this SP. DOWNLOAD IT!!! A +++"

As you all know, Microsoft stopped supporting Win98.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/67folB/TM

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/