[windows2000] Re: printers

  • From: "Andrew Duey" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 07:46:33 -0500

Well, my company is a Xerox reseller so in theory we have all the answers :)

We have a Xerox color laser here (the Phaser 6250) as a demo model and love
it to death.  We've worked with the solid ink printers and hear nothing but
good things from customers.

One of the big selling points of the solid ink printers is that you can
reload the printers BEFORE it runs out of "ink".  The printer takes blocks
of solid resin wax and the chute can hold several blocks at a time (4 I
think).  So if you start a big print job and it's low on "ink" then you can
put several more blocks of "ink" in before OR DURING the print.  Oh, and
don't worry about putting the wrong "ink" in the wrong chute . . . you can't
do it without a hammer.  The "ink" blocks are different shapes so unless
you're determined to put the square peg in the round hole it should work
well, even for the most untrained of your staff.

Oh, and a word on the warranty:  It's fabulous!  When we had sporadic issues
with our demo unit we called the regular customer help line (not dealer
numbers).  After waiting on hold for 2 minutes we got a tech on the phone
who spoke English natively AND knew his tech stuff!  I described the problem
in heavy technical detail (after the printer went to sleep the unit would
drop off the network) and in about a minute he had an acceptable work around
for the problem (turned out to be a quirky incompatibility between the
network interface and our switch).  Then when they actually had the problem
fixed they (without additional prompting from us) sent out a tech with an
entire new mainboard.  Now remember this entire time they were unaware that
we were a Xerox reseller so we got treated just like their other customers.
That more than anything has converted me from an HP zealot into a Xerox
believer (especially in the color laser/solid ink fields, B&W HP still is
top dog).

Another AWESOME feature on the network aware Xerox printers is their printer
smart printer drivers.  The printer driver will tell the user who printed
the document that it's low on ink or that it doesn't have the right type of
paper in it.  And when it tells you about a problem it's not a "PC Load
Letter" error, it's "The printer is out of paper" with a 1 page description
of how to add more!  It's perfect to keep your users from calling you for
most things!  And the web management is awesome as well.  You can see
exactly how much toner or ink was used on print jobs (I know this is in the
lasers, I think it's in the solid ink printers too).  I use that to track
printing costs for each job.  I can tell exactly how much it costs to run
the fliers and bill back accurately for large color print jobs).  Also,
depending on the features you get on the printer, they can do secure
printing, where for instance you send the payroll check to the printer from
your desk, but they won't print until you get to the printer and enter the
passcode.  You can also do proof printing, where you send 1,000,000,000
copies to the printer, and it prints the first one and waits until you
confirm it looks correctly to print the rest (both features require the
additional HD).

I'd be more than happy to demonstrate these features to anyone considering a
Xerox printer.  Most of these features can be demonstrated long distance
(via terminal services connection to our terminal server).  <Shameless plug>
If you'd like to see a demo of have any other questions call me at
402-475-3839 </Shameless plug>

If you have any specific questions fire away and if I don't know the answer
I'll find out for you.

--Andrew Duey, MCSE
Duey's Computer Service, Inc.