[windows2000] Re: adding users to workstation administrator g roup

  • From: Frank Monroe <Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:49:31 -0500

Actually, not only local policies.  There is no distinction of where the
policy came from when it is inserted in the registry.  So, all a user has to
do is modify the registry location that was just set by the policy engine.
It takes no time at all.

And if they can't find a registry location to repoint an executable to some
other file, all they have to do is replace one of the system executables
that run as a servers with something like usermgr.exe from old NT and,
instant admin privs.  Its even easier than that, just replace the default
screen savor with usrmgr.exe and logoff and wait for it to launch.  Again,
instant admin privs.

Just send this discussion to the windows NT security group and they will go
on for days with all of the exploits possible with this approach.  I have
personally broken into systems with little effort where the security has
been changed in this manner.

By the way, this is one reason why also granting users power users is just
as good as admin.