[windows2000] Re: Windows 2000 server questions

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:08:20 -0800

>From: "Neil Critchlow" <neil_critchlow@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, I don't use either IIS or Exchange, both of which I feel are too
insecure, so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt.  (if you
care, I use apache and qmail instead)

>I used the Microsoft recommended instructions for securing IIS with
>exchange 5.5 from searching TechNet.

Please provide us with a link to the docs you're using so that we can help
narrow down the problem.

>I have received this email:
>Message from  yahoo.com.
>Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).
>
>Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1) I'm not
>going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

Yahoo uses qmail as you can see by the format of the error message above.
Please telnet into port 25 and test the connection manually.

>I have configured IIS to allow pop3, nntp and SMTP.

Uh, no you haven't IIS doesn't have anything to do with those, you're
thinking exchange.

>From the server which contains these applications I have telnet
>into SMTP of the mail server (mail.btconnect.com)

Is that your exchange server or an SMTP at your ISP?

>but when I try pop3 this times out.

Then something is wrong with your pop3 setup.

>Nbstat and WS_Ping pro pack and they both tell me that SMTP
>and pop3 available.

What is listening on port 110?

>The IMS service is set to the ip address of mail.btconnect.com, when I
>try the url the IMS does not start, I know this is because the DNS is
>not running and will attempt to configure.

DNS would be a good thing if you're trying to run an email server, how else
are you going to handle MX records?  Check here for IMS info:

http://www.brother.com/pub/printers/advanced_doc/Inst_IMS_Exc5.pdf

>Research suggests it may be the dns but surely if the IP is put in the
>ims it should be able to delivery email via pop3 when the SMTP is
>working fine.

Not necessarily, depends on how it's coded.

>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend taking this question to an Exchange server mailing list,
you'll get much better answers.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The packets involved in the transmission of this email were manually
inspected by: Bob Smith, stateful packet inspector #23."