[windows2000] Re: Terminal Services Printer Redirection

  • From: "Andrew Duey" <lists@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:04:49 -0600

Jeremiah,
    Do you have the LaserJet 1000 drivers loaded on the server?  If not,
install them as though you had the printer on LPT1, then you can delete the
drivers later (just don't have it remove the files).  Another thing to try
is using the Windows XP client instead of the Windows 2000 terminal client.
The Windows XP client works much better specifically in regard to printers.
It should already be installed on your XP system under: Start -> Programs/
All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Remote Desktop Connection.
If it's not installed, you can install the remote desktop connection from
the XP CD.

    Although normally I don't doubt Jim and Jim says it's impossible, I'd
encourage you not to give up yet.  I have had fits getting printers to work,
but once I get drivers loaded everywhere things seemed to work most of the
time.  The XP terminal client is a big helpful part too.

    BTW. If you can terminal server in then you have the firewall and
networks setup right.  The printer information travels inside the RDP TCP
connection, so once you've established that connection through the firewall,
all the "channels" inside such as printing, sound (in later versions), etc
should flow right through your firewalls.

--Andrew Duey, MCSE
Duey's Computer Service

E-mail: andrew@xxxxxxxx
Phone: (402) 730-4243