[windows2000] Re: Roaming profiles

  • From: David Spanne <werenomads@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:40:55 -0800

We now have XP workstations, and profiles that were 5-10MB under NT4 are now
20-50MB under XP.  I consider myself quite versed in roaming profiles. I think
5MB, at least under XP is quite optimistic.  I use a mandatory profile for one
admin account, and a second that is local.

We're looking at which items within the profile we can make non-roaming, which
(user shell folders) we can point direclty at the server, and whether any others
beyond IE cache will point to C:\temp, like the CD Burn folder, or the one the
catalogs Media Player.

I have a question about the usrclass.dat file that I've posted over on
mswindowsxp-freelists.org for those of you who know about it and profiles.

Thanks
David L. Spanne

>Quoting Greg Reese <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

 Holy Cow!  50 MB.  I don't let my roaming profiles get over more than 5MB.

 Here is what I do:

 Create a dummy user account to be the "template".  Don't set a profile path.
 Let it login and get a local profile.  Get all your settings how you want
 while logged in as this user.

 Log out.

 Log in as Administrator and open the system properties.  Find the profiles tab
 and select that user.  Click the copy to button.  Copy it to the location you
 want to store the roaming profiles and change the permissions to allow
 everyone access.

 Now set that user's profile path to be the location you copied that local
 profile to.

 To keep the profiles small do the following:

 Give your users home drives.
 Redirect My Documents, Favorites, Cookies, and Application Data to the Home
 Drive
 Redirect the Temporary internet files to C:\Temp.

 Use the template user you made with all the settings, redirections etc as the
 base for your other users.  Just copy that profile, give the copy the name of
 the user and set that users profile path to match.

 There are other ways to do it.  They are probably better but this works for me
 and has been for a while now.

 Greg