[windows2000] Re: Roaming profiles

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:33:45 -0500

Holy Cow!  50 MB.  I don't let my roaming profiles get over more than 5MB.

Here is what I do:

Create a dummy user account to be the "template".  Don't set a profile path.
Let it login and get a local profile.  Get all your settings how you want while
logged in as this user.

Log out.

Log in as Administrator and open the system properties.  Find the profiles tab
and select that user.  Click the copy to button.  Copy it to the location you
want to store the roaming profiles and change the permissions to allow everyone
access.

Now set that user's profile path to be the location you copied that local
profile to.

To keep the profiles small do the following:

Give your users home drives.
Redirect My Documents, Favorites, Cookies, and Application Data to the Home
Drive
Redirect the Temporary internet files to C:\Temp.

Use the template user you made with all the settings, redirections etc as the
base for your other users.  Just copy that profile, give the copy the name of
the user and set that users profile path to match.

There are other ways to do it.  They are probably better but this works for me
and has been for a while now.

Greg