[windows2000] Re: Replacing the DC's

  • From: S Hoyle <slymax454@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

Tyfanie,
You'll want to transfer the FSMO roles to the new "BDC" before taking the "PDC"
offline.  Here's a couple MS KB articles:

Changing through MMC
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255690

Changing with Ntdsutil:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255504

-Sly

"Wilson, Tyfanie" <twilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

All:

We've finally got the budget to replace our servers with new ones.=20
The current setup is: 2 DC's (roll-ups from NT4, so they're called PDC =
& BDC), and under them 5 citrix & 2 cache servers. They are all W2K.
We are not planning on changing the setup, so I am confident in how I'm =
going to change out the citrix servers. =20

My question is with replacing the DC's.

We have running AD, DNS, DHCP, Terminal Services... I'm not entirely =
sure what else to look for.

My plan is to replace the Citrix servers, then the BDC so that it will =
replicate all the AD, DNS, DHCP information (and install Term Services =
licenses). Lastly, replace the PDC, as it contains the User Profiles.

Does anyone see any problems with this? I read somewhere that there is =
something put on the first DC installed and no other. If I do it in =
this order, I'm afraid that "something" is going to cause problems. =
When I un-dcpromo the PDC, will it copy that "something" into the BDC? =
What else should I be looking for?

Any sites that can direct me to more helpful information? All the books =
I have don't seem to want to touch on this, though I'm still looking.

Your help, commentary, or any other note would be greatly appreciated. =
TIA!

~Tyfanie~

PS: On a side note, does anyone know how well HP Tape drives (surestore =
DLT 40) play with Dell servers (4600)?