[windows2000] Re: Replacing the DC's

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:39:55 -0700

>From: "Wilson, Tyfanie" <twilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>We've finally got the budget to replace our servers with new ones.

Congradulations.

>I read somewhere that there is something put on the first DC installed and
>no other.  If I do it in this order, I'm afraid that "something" is going
>to cause problems. When I un-dcpromo the PDC, will it copy that "something"
>into the BDC?
>What else should I be looking for?

I think you're refering to the master roles and global catalog, you should
transfer them to the BDC before trying to demote the PDC (which really is a
PDC unless you're running in Native mode by the way).

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and
a quick recompile."