[windows2000] Re: Replacing DC with another DC

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:56:53 -0500

"Can I test the new DC by just shutting down the old DC prior to
demoting?"
Yes, but I would move the FSMO roles first.

"Can I use robocopy.exe to move all the folders with permissions to the
new box?"
Yes, that is what I do.  Use the /sec option, or the /mir option if you
prefer.

"Is there a way to move my DHCP settings?"
Same OS on the old and new server?  If so, yes.  But I have never had
much luck with this.
Unless you have a huge number of reservations, I would manually create
the new scope.  But first, I would set the old scope to have a
ridiculously low lease time, and wait until everyone has refreshed their
lease.

I.e., if you currently have a three day lease time, then 1.5 days before
you intend to activate the new DHCP server (give yourself AT LEAST 50%
of the old lease time, if not more) change the lease time to something
like an hour or two.

I usually use this as an opportunity to re-do my reservations anyway, so
that printers are all contiguous, etc...

"Is there a way to move print server printers?"
Not sure what you mean... unless the server is going to have the same
name (which is impossible given your steps to upgrade) you are going to
have to re-map your clients printers anyway.

HTH,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Herchenbach, Jim
Posted At: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:30 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: Replacing DC with another DC
Subject: [windows2000] Replacing DC with another DC

We are a small school with only one server.  I just want to make sure I
do this correctly.  I'm replacing my DC with a new machine.

1) Configure new server
2) join domain and promote to a DC
3) Demote old DC

Can I test the new DC by just shutting down the old DC prior to
demoting?  I would hate to lose all the student login information.

Can I use robocopy.exe to move all the folders with permissions to the
new box?

Is there a way to move my DHCP settings?

Is there a way to move print server printers?

Any help would be appreciated.

jim