[windows2000] Re: RIS Image problem

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:33:08 -0800

For those that actually haven't implimented an SP2 rollout for their XP
workstations in their domain yet, you may want to check out the
following article that discusses several ways to rollout SP2 with all
your needed network exceptions pre-defined. Or even how to change
settings after the fact with command line tools like "Netsh".

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Customizing-Windows-Firewall.html

I disagree with an "un-planned / un-controlled" mass rollout of SP2 .
.that can be a recipe for a great deal of headaches. Plan it out and
test your setup though and you should hardly see any issues when the
rollout occurs.

From: Sullivan, Glenn
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:38:46 -0500

Talk about fear-of-the-unknown... once you understand the firewall, it's
really not that hard.

That's almost as bad as the people who DO roll out SP2, and then disable
the Firewall via GPO because it is faster than trying to figure out the
exceptions that a given environment actually needs...

I'll duck now,

BW,

Sorin

http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
> Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 3
signals >> GSM
> Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
> Box 574, Uppsala University,          Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
> SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3,
D5:512b

> Public PGP key available on request.
>
> ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail /\
>
> Harmless tagline follows:
>
> BOFH excuse follows: We're upgrading /dev/null

Notice: This transmission contains confidential information intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or action in reliance on the contents of this
transmission is strictly prohibited by anyone except the party to whom it is
addressed.