[windows2000] Re: RES: Re: Backup Software

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:57:54 -0400

I created a backup job and made all the selections and saved the .bks file as
C:\Backup\Daily.bks.  Then I made a batch file as follows:

echo off
  rsm.exe refresh /LF"Quantum DLT4000 SCSI Sequential Device"
  sleep 30
  for /f "Tokens=1-4 Delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do set dt=%%i-%%j-%%k-%%l
  for /f "Tokens=1" %%i in ('time /t') do set tm=-%%i
  set tm=%tm::=-%
  set dtt=%dt%%tm%
  c:\winnt\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Backup\Daily.bks" /n
"%computername%-%dtt%" /d "daily %dtt%" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:on /m normal /j
"daily %dtt%" /l:s /p "DLT" /UM
  rsm.exe eject /PF"%computername%-%dtt% - 1" /astart
  exit

that will app probably wrap around and become a mess but you get the idea.

I then scheduled a job to run that cmd file every night.  All you have to do is
put a tape in the drive.  No messing with RSM required.

If you install the exchange tools on the server doing backup you will get
exchange backup ability.  For SQL Server, I have a job there that backs up the
databases to disk.  Those backups then get copied to the tape when it runs.

We have been running this way for over a year.

Greg