[windows2000] Re: Question about firewalls

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:03:16 -0400

No way.

If you block outgoing access at the firewall, you block outgoing access at
the firewall.  That's that.

The problem is, you have to be able to get onto the internet somehow, right?
Is that through a Proxy Server, or through exception rules?  Once you've
made an outbound connection, there is nothing stopping another application
from using that established connection.

As to his problems with Media Player, they are well founded.  The EULA for
MP9 contained some scary "we can do this if we want to" language.
Independent testing (and my own testing) has shown that they are not yet
using it, but I check again every time MP9 is patched by my SUS server, just
in case...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.