[windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:55:12 -0400

Homegrown... started as a dBase IV that I got sick of, so I recoded it
as an access app.

Not much of a front end, because the maintenance guys don't have a PC,
so we do it for them... I've gotten used to just plunking the data into
the tables directly...

So it's really just a couple of tables and a couple of reports,
formatted to print on oak tag perforated forms, so that the maintenance
guys have something to keep to say that the job was done.

Sorry, I know that is not much help...

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Reese
Posted At: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 9:44 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs
Subject: [windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

what program do you use for maintenance?  we've been looking for one.

        From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Hooper
        Posted At: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 11:54 AM
        Posted To: Windows 2000
        Conversation: [windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

        Heya Glenn -

            That's *SO* not even funny (well, ok, it is... hysterical
even), because we live between 2 of the grodiest neighbors you can
possibly imagine, and our landlord won't do anything about the bug
infestation from them, so we have to bomb every 3 months or so to keep
our place clear of the nasty things.  So we were watching TV the other
day, and over the MSNBC icon, crawls a little tiny baby roach!  Inside
the screen of my 'new' 52" RCA!!!! (the cable guys that came out to fix
my DVR said that bugs *LOVE* HDTVs) WOT!?!?!  So we trotted down to
Walmart and got 4 tubes of caulk and spray foam and a whole new set of
foggers, and have to tackle it again.  I'll check out my computer too.
*yikes*  I just hope that the bombs don't mess with the electronics too
much.

        Jen

        From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Hooper
        Posted At: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 11:37 AM
        Posted To: Windows 2000
        Conversation: [windows2000] OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs
        Subject: [windows2000] OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

        Has anyone had this kind of trouble in their data centers?
Curiouser and curiouser... I remember the early days of clean room data
centers.  Boy howdee, did that go out the window quick.  Maybe with the
advent of headless blade servers, a pure environment is something to
consider (never fly in a corporate forecast these days with the costs of
implementation and maintenance, though.)

        Jen

        This article was emailed to you at the request of :
         The sender included the following brief message :
        View this article
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E33%257E2245069,00.html>

        View The Denver Post <http://www.denverpost.com>

        Pesky "whiskers" zap PCs in secretary of state's office
<http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E33%257E2245069,00.html>

        By asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Aldo Svaldi
        Denver Post Staff Writer
        Thursday, July 01, 2004 -

        Small metallic fibers known as "zinc whiskers" are the likely
culprit behind crippling computer outages in the Colorado secretary of
state's office over the past three weeks.

        The fibers "are blowing out the power supplies on the
computers," said Lisa Doran, a spokeswoman for the agency.

        Metal on floor panels and even in computer cases can secrete
zinc crystals over time, said Rich Hill, president of Data Clean in Des
Plaines, Ill.

        Zinc whiskers can appear as a light peach fuzz on a metal
surface if they grow long enough, but typically they are invisible.

        Whiskers can get sucked inside computers and short out power
supplies, trip circuits and in extreme cases cause data errors, Hill
said.

        Aging computer rooms and more compact computer designs have
increased the problem, Hill said.

        The outages in the secretary of state's office, which
effectively halted electronic filings of business and elections
documents at www.sos.state.co.us , highlight why the state's various
websites should be brought under one authority, said Leroy Williams, the
state's secretary of technology. Legislation this year enabled the
creation of such an authority, which was financed with $7.5 million at
the direction of Gov. Bill Owens.

        The secretary of state's office has begun working on a
remediation plan to clean up the whiskers, Doran said.

<http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/whisker0701g.jpg>

        Staff writer Aldo Svaldi can be reached at 303-820-1410 or
asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .