[windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:44:21 -0400

what program do you use for maintenance?  we've been looking for one.

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Hooper
Posted At: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 11:54 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

Heya Glenn -

    That's *SO* not even funny (well, ok, it is... hysterical even), because we
live between 2 of the grodiest neighbors you can possibly imagine, and our
landlord won't do anything about the bug infestation from them, so we have to
bomb every 3 months or so to keep our place clear of the nasty things.  So we
were watching TV the other day, and over the MSNBC icon, crawls a little tiny
baby roach!  Inside the screen of my 'new' 52" RCA!!!! (the cable guys that
came out to fix my DVR said that bugs *LOVE* HDTVs) WOT!?!?!  So we trotted
down to Walmart and got 4 tubes of caulk and spray foam and a whole new set of
foggers, and have to tackle it again.  I'll check out my computer too.  *yikes*
 I just hope that the bombs don't mess with the electronics too much.

Jen

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jennifer Hooper
Posted At: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 11:37 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs
Subject: [windows2000] OT: Pesky whiskers zap PCs

Has anyone had this kind of trouble in their data centers?  Curiouser and
curiouser... I remember the early days of clean room data centers.  Boy howdee,
did that go out the window quick.  Maybe with the advent of headless blade
servers, a pure environment is something to consider (never fly in a corporate
forecast these days with the costs of implementation and maintenance, though.)

Jen

This article was emailed to you at the request of :
 The sender included the following brief message :
View  <http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E33%257E2245069,00.html>
this article
View The Denver  <http://www.denverpost.com> Post

Pesky  <http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E33%257E2245069,00.html>
"whiskers" zap PCs in secretary of state's office

By  <mailto:asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aldo Svaldi
Denver Post Staff Writer
Thursday, July 01, 2004 -

Small metallic fibers known as "zinc whiskers" are the likely culprit behind
crippling computer outages in the Colorado secretary of state's office over the
past three weeks.

The fibers "are blowing out the power supplies on the computers," said Lisa
Doran, a spokeswoman for the agency.

Metal on floor panels and even in computer cases can secrete zinc crystals over
time, said Rich Hill, president of Data Clean in Des Plaines, Ill.

Zinc whiskers can appear as a light peach fuzz on a metal surface if they grow
long enough, but typically they are invisible.

Whiskers can get sucked inside computers and short out power supplies, trip
circuits and in extreme cases cause data errors, Hill said.

Aging computer rooms and more compact computer designs have increased the
problem, Hill said.

The outages in the secretary of state's office, which effectively halted
electronic filings of business and elections documents at www.sos.state.co.us ,
highlight why the state's various websites should be brought under one
authority, said Leroy Williams, the state's secretary of technology.
Legislation this year enabled the creation of such an authority, which was
financed with $7.5 million at the direction of Gov. Bill Owens.

The secretary of state's office has begun working on a remediation plan to
clean up the whiskers, Doran said.

  <http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper36/whisker0701g.jpg>

Staff writer Aldo Svaldi can be reached at 303-820-1410 or
asvaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .