[windows2000] Re: OT: Download Speed

  • From: Chris Buechler <win2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:43:00 -0400

Charles R. Buchanan wrote:

I have tried the servers on there. In fact did it a minute or so ago.
Getting a little bit below half the speed according to the tests on
there. If I was getting these speeds and paying for the 4MBPS service I
would be happy, but I feel if one is paying for 9MBPS service, at the
very least consistantly hit at least 7MBPS. IMO of course! Thanks!

It's very, very difficult to find any speed tests that will reliably test connections over 4 Mb, I've found. I have a 6 Mb cable modem at home, and rarely see more than 3-4 Mb on any speed test. But there are a number of sites I can routinely download from at a full 6 Mb. At least 95% of sites never reach that kind of speed though, and I'm sure it's typically due to the other end's connectivity. I'd do a lot of downloading before you come to the conclusion that your connection isn't really 9 Mb. I'd also check with your ISP to see if they have a speed test site on their network, as anything that takes the Internet as a whole out of the equation will be much more reliable. Granted that doesn't test their uplinks to the Internet, but it should show how much you can push down your pipe.

Other things to look at, if you can't even get 9 Mb from your ISP's network, is the quality of router or firewall you're using (if any), and any interface issues, like high error rates, any duplex mismatches, etc.

-Chris