[windows2000] Re: OT DVD+R vs DVD-R

  • From: "Victor A. Diasparra" <vdiasparra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:38:40 -0400

FYI...

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard,
Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record
data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not
be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc
can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM
players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi,
NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD
Forum.
DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only
record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc
can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional
standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring,
which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available
to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a
DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging
the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM
players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible
with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format.
DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM was the first DVD standard to hit the market and is a read-only
format. The video or game content is burned onto the DVD once and the DVD
will run on any DVD-ROM-equipped device.

Victor A. Diasparra
vdiasparra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Charlotte, NC