[windows2000] Re: OT

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 16:00:09 +0200

We can't control the switches up the line (the main ones), but in the
serverrooms we have several servers connected to a small 16p-switch and from
there to the main eth-trunk.

Now, the servers are connected to a big UPS, and it so happens that the
16p-switch has one of those generic computer power inlets, ie none of those
small round yellowish pins, but a regular three-pronged inlet. I was then able
to connect the switch to the UPS, so that at least the UPS-controller can
shut-down the member-servers properly, ie those connected to the switch. See
figure below.

main-trunk (layer whatever-switch) - > 8 eth-cables - switch - 8 eth-cables -
servers
                                                   /
/

If the power goes, most of the network is down too, so having the servers
connected straight to the regular network, would mean that the controller
wouldn't be able to talk to the members. Having this ups-ed switch, they can
still talk as long as there's power in the ups.

It's a poor-man's solution to a controlled shut-down when the power
disappears.

  _____