[windows2000] NTDSUTIL precreate

  • From: "Dan Manell" <dan.manell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 00:04:18 +0200

Hi.

Does anybody have any experience with the NDTSUTIL-command precreate?
I've found next to no information about it. Supposedly it should =
precreate a
sub-domain in the forrest so that someone other than an enterprise admin =
can
join the domain to the forrest.

It doesn't seem to suffice with just precreate though (Sorin can tell =
you,
he was at the other end of a "practial" experiment). Here at the =
University
the campus covers a lot of ground and is scattered about our town, so
eliminating the need for Enterprise Admin presence would speed domain
joining quite a bit. (Let's not get into why so many domains it's such a
bother. Let's just leave it at "politics", "territorial" and "Microsoft
licensing model". ;-) )

When trying to join the domain that was precreated, replication fails =
with a
cryptic message like "busy" or some other. (I can't remember the exact
message. Sorin, can you?) But I'm not yet convinced this is related. But
it's a bit more of a coincidence than I'm comfortable with.

Any help is appreciated.

/Dan