[windows2000] Re: More on : Printer IP address assignment in routed environment

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:37:47 -0400

Like I suggested, I would create "static" reservations in the DHCP
scopes that serve each subnet.

Baring that, most of the JetDirects etc... can be administered through a
web interface.  Plug in the IP address that was dynamically assigned
into a web browser, and change the address mode from Dynamic to Static,
and assign one.

But you will have to do it differently for each
manufacturer/model/firmware combination.  Which is why I lean toward the
Reservation model...

Again, YMMV,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ibrahim, Mustafa
Posted At: Monday, July 12, 2004 12:53 PM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] More on : Printer IP address assignment in
routed environment
Subject: [windows2000] More on : Printer IP address assignment in routed
environment

If you got routed/subneted network and you want to assign static IPs to
all your network printers, how would you do it. In the past we used Jet
direct cards and Jet direct management console to map Mac address to
static IPs. This way when printers are rest they would not lose the IP
settings.

How can I have all my printers assigned static IPs, and make sure they
don't lose settings upon hard/soft reset, i.e. if powered down or
disconnected?

Thanks very much in advance

Mustafa