[windows2000] Making a program a service

  • From: "G.Lemos" <listreader@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:33:57 -0500

I have an associate that uses/wrote some applications that run on some of my
NT4/W2K servers. My problem with this is you are required to leave the user
they use logged in to run these applications. For obvious reasons I do not
like leaving servers logged in when no one is at the console.

Is there a way to make these applications run as services so I can see them
in the services.msc MMC? Does anything specific need to be done to make an
application a service, or is there a command that can be run to initialize
the app as a service? Just wondering what the limitations are.

Right now they have these apps in the Start up folder, which only works when
they login. I think I read somewhere at some point you can do something at
the command line to make this happen. It would be a great help if I could
figure this out and lock down these NT4/W2K servers that much more.

TIA,
-George