[windows2000] Re: Linksys router as gateway- Win2000 can't connect

  • From: "Lon Diffenderfer" <diffie1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 06:53:16 -0400

Hi all, thanks for the replies. My responses follow. Just to update you,
I followed all the directions on the Linksys site about resetting the
router. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to include my Router Settings.
Here they are.

Firmware v. - 1.42.7
LAN IP - 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Wireless - Enabled
SSID - [mySSID]
Allow SSID Broadcast - NO
Channel - 9
WEP - Mandatory - [my128bitkey#1]
WAN Connection Type - obtain IP automatically
DHCP Disabled
All DNS and WAN IP info shows up correctly in "Status"
Nothing Enabled under "Security" although I do use Panda Platinum
        Antivirus Firewall
Nothing under "Filters"
Nothing under "Forwarding"
Set as "Gateway" with Dynamic Routing disabled
Static Routing lists the three machine IPs .2 .3 .4 with Hop count 1
        and interfacing with "LAN"
No DMZ host
No MAC clone

Under "Wireless"
Beacon - 100
RTS - 2432
Fragmentation - 2346
DTIM - 3
Basic - 1-2 MBps
Tx - 1-2-5.5-11 MBps
Preamble - Short
Authentication - Shared
Antenna - Diversity Spread
Station Mac Filter - Enabled
 lists both wireless uplink MACS with filters off (on blocks them)

Answers to your questions...
Are you sure that the router didn't get damaged in the storm?

        Yes, I am certain that the router was not damaged. All machines
        and router were completely detached from power, modem, cable, etc
        during the storm.

Have you tried other physical ports on it?

        I cannot try other ports. The Win98 machine is connected by cable.
        The 2 Win2000 machines are wireless uplinks.

When you say the 2000 machines cannot set it, do you mean when you ping
by LAN IP, there is no reply?

        The router is simply set up to be a gateway to the Net, although I
        was able to see the other machines in the workgroup previous to the
        outage. Now, there is no replay from LAN IP from the Win2K machines.

Does your router have the option to discard ping request,

        Yes, but only WAN ping can be blocked.

The Win98 machines can see the router? Swap cables?

        Cannot do. Win2k machines are in another room, not linked by
        cable.

Ray at work

Msg: #2 in digest
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Linksys router as gateway- Win2000 can't connect
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:55:11 -0700
From: "Daniel Curry" <dcurry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Can your wireless win2000 machines ping each other?

        No. They are both wireless and cannot see each other unless the
        router is communicating with them.

If so, then I would look at reconfiguring the wifi card software, make sure
the WEP is the same, and try again.

        Did this several times. No changes.

=========

Is the win98 machine working ok?