[windows2000] Re: ISCSI with SATA drives ?

  • From: "Berny Stapleton" <berny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:51:48 +0000

I have a VM environment that I look after, and I am running it on FC
disk. I can map LUNs from SATA disk if I want, and we do that to other
solaris and linux hosts now. We more use SATA for medium term storage,
and certainly wouldn't be using it for heavy disk activity. It just
depends on how many IO/s you are looking at.

Your understanding is correct that it's SCSI over IP, but that doesn't
mean that the end of the chain has to be SCSI as well, I prefer to
think of SAN / NAS as disk mappers, they don't really have THAT much
in the way of smarts on them. Yes, a lot of people use SAN with
Exchange and SQL as it's easier for them to manage their storage on a
SAN, Exchange, SQL and other systems can work better though with
locally attached storage, it just depends on the situation.

If you aren't going to be pushing more than a gigabit each way (Or if
you were, it would only be for a short period and wouldn't matter if
it took an extra couple of seconds) than iSCSI is a lot cheaper way to
go than SAN. On top of which, the step that people have just taken is
the move to 4Gb SAN connectivity, I know a lot of people that still
have 2Gb SANs though. When you think that 1Gb NICs and switches these
days are basically a commodity item (You can walk down the local
computer store and get a 8 port Gb switch for how much?), think about
what's happening down the line with 10Gb Ethernet, and 80 / 100Gb
Ethernet. iSCSI was once a poor man's SAN, but in all honesty with the
way that ethernet switching is moving, and the speed that disk is
moving....I think we are going to see a lot of movement to iSCSI in
the future. That's just my opinion though.

Berny