[windows2000] Re: HP Proliant NAS

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 11:49:54 +0100

On 5/9/05, Andy Wolstenholme <a_wolsten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I guess my main enquiry is regarding the volumes. We were toying with the
> idea of splitting the main 430g volume into smaller sizeable volume chunks
> but were unsure of any pitfalls/advantages of doing so.  Storage works also
> allows shadow copies to be created so also was looking for same info on
> these if anyone has used them.

Shadow copies are a nicety and pretty much "just work" in my
experience. Whether you'll need them or not depends on your backup
strategy and user knowledge/experience!

I don't see any advantage in splitting the partition up, assuming its
RAID'ed in some way (I'd assume so, from your description). All it
will give you is lots of different drive letters to manage and slow
copying from one share to another. If you dont split it, it might be
just as easy to make folders in the root of the partition and call
them the drives!

There may be something I'm missing though, so lets see what others say ;)

> For the actual migrations, I was going to perform manual copy and paste on
> the folders and shares as this is going to allow us to re evaulate, organise
> create and apply our security policies.  Is this wise?

If you copy and paste data, you'll have to go through and apply ALL
the ACL's onto it again.. If you use something like robocopy then it
can copy the ACL's over with the data, saving you effort.

Andrew