[windows2000] Re: HP Proliant NAS

  • From: "Andy Wolstenholme" <a_wolsten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:00:43 +0000

hi chaps,

sorry about the vagueness of question. I realise that it was fairly non descritpive.

The server we purchased comes preinstalled with windows 2003 sorage server and hp storage works. The server (4 disks) is preconfigured into 3 partitions, 2 mirrored OS partitions of 10gig each, and one data partition of 430 gig.

Our data is pretty much static. We have around 6 servers to consolidate, server names do not need to be maintained.

I guess my main enquiry is regarding the volumes. We were toying with the idea of splitting the main 430g volume into smaller sizeable volume chunks but were unsure of any pitfalls/advantages of doing so. Storage works also allows shadow copies to be created so also was looking for same info on these if anyone has used them.

For the actual migrations, I was going to perform manual copy and paste on the folders and shares as this is going to allow us to re evaulate, organise create and apply our security policies. Is this wise?

From: "Mauricio Fernandez" <mfernandez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [windows2000] Re: HP Proliant NAS
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 14:27:57 -0400

This is a huge question. What exactly you are looking for? Which OS you
are planning to install on them?

NAS devices are just like any other server, they don't need "extra" or
"special settings" different from any fileserver. They are only servers
with special hard drive features.

Don't be afraid; just repeat the configuration of the best fileserver you
got.

Mauricio Fernández S. IT Manager Tel. 591- 445-25160 Fax. 591- 441-15056 mfernandez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.fdta-valles.org Cochabamba - Bolivia