[windows2000] Exchange 2003 Server Name

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:46:22 -0500

I am installing Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 Server on new
equipment.

Our existing mail is Exchange 5.5 and NT4 and Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000
in 2 separate offices.  With NT4, in the TCP/IP Protocol Properties under
DNS I could I could give it a Host name and Domain name that were different
than the computer name/inside domain name combination and that appears to
work fine.  With Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 server there did not appear to
be a way to give a outside Host/Domain name but it has worked fine behind a
firewall with a different name than the outside world knows.

Our outside mail server name is mail2.scdcap.org and our inside domain name
is scdcap.org

I will be placing my Exchange Server behind a Windows 2000 ISA Server
firewall.  I know how to set the ISA server up to forward the email related
traffic to the Exchange Server but I am somewhat confused as to what the
computer name of the exchange server should be.

Do I name it mail2 so that the inside name is mail2.scdcap.org and the
outside name is the same thing or can I name it whatever I want inside and
just tell the ISA Server that mail traffic destined to mail2.scdcap.org
should go to IP address 192.168.254.8.

I have DNS running on a Windows 2000 server and that seems to be working
fine.  I also have my outside MX record for out scdcap.org pointing to
mail2.scdcap.org and mail2.scdcap.org pointing to the correct IP address and
I have the Reverse DNS set up so the world knows that the IP address is the
host mail2.scdcap.org.  The world is only slightly annoyed that my mail
server does not think it is named mail2.  Did I just miss the part in
Windows 2000 server where I could set this other host name?

Thanks,
Douglas Jensen
Douglas.Jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Voice (952) 402-9821