[windows2000] Dell Poweredge 6300

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:42:58 -0800

Just given two of these servers and was wondering what you guys think.
First of all, I've always wanted my very own server to play with, but of
course never had the money to actually do this. :-)  (Seeing in its day,
the 6300 could set one back $40g's)

Anyway, from what I can tell so far is, one of them has three Quantum
Atlas 10K 18.2 hard drives. The other one has 8 Seagate Ultra320 (10K)
hd's. This is probably be the one I will focus on.

My thinking is using it as a file server/backup sort or setup. The
biggest question would be what OS to install on it?  I have basically
two options. (Maybe three or four) Linux, or Windows 2000 AS. Although I
do have Solaris, the Cubs might win the World Series before I even get
an elementary understanding of it. :-O

I could take Vista Business off this machine, but I doubt that it would
be compatible with HW this old,

As far as the cpu(s) and memory, I haven't a clue right now. I'm scare
to plug the doggone thing in actually. Just the server itself takes
three power cords. :-O  Needless to say, this thing won't be running
24/7! :-D

Anyway, I know that's not a lot to go on, just wanted to throw this out
there and see what the experts think.

TIA

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels