[windows2000] AD Change user name

  • From: "Tasita Ebacher" <tebacher@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:57:55 -0500

Should I be able to change a username in Win2K AD Users & Computers??

I was under the impression (from the Win2K Server MSCE guide) that I should
be able to just change a user's username in Active Directory Users &
Computers if their name changed... But, I did this in the past and it cause
all sorts of problems!!!

For example, I had a user who got married and changed her name.  So, I just
changed her last name and username to match...  She wasn't able to logon
with the new username at all!  I don't remember the exact order of what I
had to do to get it to work properly, but I know I had to remove her user
account completely and add it back in a few times plus a few reboots of the
server before I got it working.

The problem is, now I have to do this again, and I don't want it to be such
a trouble this time!!

Any pointers?  Is this supposed to work, or does this just not work at all
in your experiences?

Tasita Ebacher
702 Communications
Data Systems Engineer