[windows2000] Re: 2000 --> 2003 domain controller

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:03:06 +0200

Costanzo, Ray <> wrote on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:34 PM:

I had 2k and 2k3 servers running alongside as DCs for a while. I didn't see
any particular problems. You may however want to upgrade your older server
running 2k to 2k3 soonish though.

When I upgraded the 2k-server to 2k3 I found it running smoother than before,
even with the rather old hardware. One server is an amd athlon xp/1200 with
512M RAM and the newer (relatively speaking...) one is an intel P3/666 also
with 512M rambus (expensive!) RAM. The intel was an athlon clasic/700 until
the mobo died and I had to buy a server ASAP (in fact the same day it
died...). These are for my home office. At work I have a lot more power
available. 8-)

1. The one thing to look out though, is that there *may* be inconsequent GPO
handling, especially if you upgrade-install a 2k-server to 2k3. This is a
known bug with 2k-to-2k3 upgrades. Better do a fresh install if you can. The
related technet kb-article is this one:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842933/en-us>.

2. Also, any GPOs you had from 2k will not upgrade properly to 2k3, which also
*may* cause tricky problems and subsequent troubleshooting. For instance, you
won't see any of the new available 2k3-GPO settings on your domain if your
domain is still 2k-compatible, even on your 2k3-server(!). I raised the
functionality level to 2k3-comaptible rather quickly because of this...

Other than this, no probs. OTOH, these two problems above may be more than you
bargained for... YMMV.

HTH.