[website-critique] FW: [Freelists News] Outage wrap-up, the new Portal Administrator, things to come

  • From: "Peter" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Website-Critique" <websitecritique@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 04:25:05 -0400

**FYI***

~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter

First, in case not everyone has noticed, recovery from the recent hardware
failure is now complete.  We only had about a day-long actual complete
outage email-wise, which was unfortunate but necessary.  After that, it
was just a matter of recovering from backup and moving forward.  Those
interested in a log of the recovery process can read the log that we
maintained: //www.freelists.org/log.html

The database recovery problems (i.e., it couldn't be recovered) gave us
the opportunity to re-write the FreeLists Administrator Login to add new
features, thereby increasing the power and flexibility of our services.
The application is now called the FreeLists Portal Login, and it now
allows you to update and control things like your lists' category and
description, contains an improved webpage editor, and more.

Everyone who has a list that was created prior to 7/8/2001 should login
and update your list settings, as anything stored in the database prior to
that date was lost.  If your //www.freelists.org/list/LISTNAME pages
seem to be missing some data, this is why.

And now, for some exciting news:

* First: our web dude has been working for months to develop a new site
design.  It would've been out by now if it hadn't been for the recent
exploding hard drives blooper, but look for it in the next few weeks.
It's groovy.
* Second: parts for our new server have started arriving.  We're building
it from scratch, but it'll include such goodies as hardware RAID and
hot-swappable U160 SCSI drives.  (If you don't know what that means, just
smile, nod, and say "ooooooh." :))
* Third: we'll be picking up on the Mailing list of the Month periodical
again, once things calm down around here.  Sorry we haven't updated it
(//www.freelists.org/lists/feature/) in so long.

Have any questions?  How 'bout suggestions that you feel would improve the
service?  We're always there to listen: staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

John

Please Forward This Email to a Friend