[webproducers] Re: position info and salary?

  • From: "Sharon Greenfield" <sharongreenfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:20:29 -0700

Hilary-
Ah the trials and tribulations of working for a small company- sometimes you
do end up wearing a lot of hats. Since you have worked there only a year,
*and* you are new to the industry I would have this advise for you- consider
any new thing you learn and do a good thing, because you are then able to
put that skillset on a resume and take it elsewhere.
Your position sounds to me like a Project Manager/Web Producer (what do you
mean by interactive?) with additional bits of a Research Analyst
and Marketing Manager.

Oftentimes with small companies, they are so busy they don't have a set
yearly review and raise procedure. I would suggest reading about how to ask
for a raise online, and then trying it with something like "I have worked
here for this amount of time, I think my knowledge base is much larger and
I'm able to contribute to the company much more such as in these ways - X
Project, X skill, etc. Also since I am now taking on more roles, I think it
appropriate to be compensated this much more." I would negotiate for two
things- a set amount of money (if you ask for 4k more will you be ok with
2k? think about these things.) AND a title promotion.

The title promotion is important, because inevitably you will move on, and a
less-responsible title on your resume, *even* if you explain all the over
and above things you did, is worth less. Just is. So, even if you bring up
the raise thing, and they say "gee the company is still small, very tight in
this quarter", then I would ask for just a 'title promotion' for now to
recognize the work you are doing.

Hope that helps.

-Sharon

Open to ALL offers in Portland Oregon.