[webproducers] Re: list design

  • From: Grant Larimer <grant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:17:59 -0400

While I do use the actions of other sites as one indicator of a
successful interface, I would generally look at a broad cross-sampling
of sites rather than duplicating the actions of one.  MSDN is by far one
of the largest and most comprehensive technical reference sites
available, however the structure and usability of it is horrendous.
It's amazing that anyone can find anything.  It's not an interface I
would draw upon despite the vast number of users who use it.

As for Yahoo, while I use Yahoo extensively, they are not what I would
consider to be a user friendly site.  They seem intent on finding new
ways of annoying me with advertising pop-ups that my pop-up killer can't
catch.

Now I know the topic was list design and I am talking about web sites,
but the underlying issue is the same, user experience.  One thing to
remember with Yahoo is that they generate a large part of their revenue
through advertising.  It is in Yahoo's best interest to have a reply go
to the entire group, as it gives them an opportunity to attach an ad to
the bottom of it.

I too would be interested in seeing research regarding the user's
expectations of list actions.

Grant Larimer
grant@xxxxxxxxxxxx