[webproducers] Re: Web query

  • From: Priscilla Ederle <priscilla_ederle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:42:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Laura,

I live in San Francisco and I'm a Senior Producer at
an internet travel company.

Have you looked at producer job descriptions to see
what skill sets people are looking for?  I always find
this helpful so I can see what skills seem to be the
most important.  Then I usually take classes in those
areas wherever they are available so I can expand my
skills.

This school does offer some on-line courses in areas
like HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.  I've been taking
classes at SFSU for a while and it's very good.

www.msp.sfsu.edu

A lot of companies want producers to have project
management and product management skills as well as a
solid understanding of basic web technology.

In fact, some web producer jobs actually ask that you
know how to write functional specs for new features
and functionality on a web site.  I still don't know
the best way to acquire this skill other than learning
it on the job.  Of couse, companies who require this
skill for a producer job usually aren't willing to
have you 'learn it on the job'.  If anyone out there
has any suggestions on how to learn to write
functional specs, I'd like to know too!

I hope this helps a bit.

:  )

--- Laura Marino <nogui41@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi David:
>
> Thanks for your reply. I live in Jersey City, New
> Jersey--great access into New York city or of
> course,
> the NJ area as well.
> The reason why I want to learn more abou the web is
> 'cause I believe that what I do as a broadcast
> producer will have to be integrated to the web and I
> need to acquire that skillset. I"m looking to learn
> more about that, not  necessarily the design end of
> it.
>
> thanks,
> Laura.
>
> --- David Shaw <david.shaw6@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Laura,
> >
> > Where are you located?  The reason I ask is that I
> > know of a couple
> > classes, but they are not online courses.
> >
> > David
> >
> > On 8/23/06, Laura Marino <nogui41@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I am currently a Broadcast producer who wants to
> > learn
> > > more about web producing.
> > > I would like to integrate my broadcast knowledge
> > and
> > > supplement it with web knowhow so I can continue
> > > stay current.
> > > How do I start: Courses? Books?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > protection around
> > > http://mail.yahoo.com
> > >

> > > --

> > VACATION MODE!
> > >
> > > Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal
> > information such as
> > > telephone numbers if you do not want them in the
> > public web archive.

> > unsubscribe in the subject to
> > webproducers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > Getting too many messages from the list?
> Consider
> > digest mode.
> > >

> > --

> > VACATION MODE!
> >
> > Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal
> > information such as
> > telephone numbers if you do not want them in the
> > public web archive.

> unsubscribe
> > in the subject to
> webproducers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > Getting too many messages from the list? Consider
> > digest mode.

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>

> --

> VACATION MODE!
>
> Be sure to trim your posts and delete personal
> information such as
> telephone numbers if you do not want them in the
> public web archive.

> in the subject to webproducers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Getting too many messages from the list? Consider
> digest mode.

"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to
accessorize." - Steel Magnolias

http://mail.yahoo.com

Getting too many messages from the list? Consider digest mode.